Welcome!

Terve! Welcome to the continuation of my life in Finland and other parts of the world. My master's lead me on all sorts of unforeseen adventures...hopefully this next degree (it's true) does too!

Monday 21 November 2011

Setting Suns and Snowfall

Helsinki Dawn...Swans (Joutsenet) on Töölönlahti
Things are starting to get a little more interesting around Joensuu.  It has finally started to snow (sataa lunta) so the landscape looks very different.  Actually, today was our first official snowfall (it must snow more than 1cm to even count as snow).  We now have a grand total of 4cm and our coldest temperature has been -7 C.  Not to stereotype, but I was kind of expecting it to be a little colder here...it's just about the same latitude as Yellowknife, NWT (actually we're just a little further North).  However, on Saturday, it was 26 degrees colder in Williams Lake, BC than it was in Joensuu.  It just seems like there is something wrong with that picture.  Anyways, the night appears to be a lot brighter , which is excellent seeing that the sun now sets at 15:00.
Baroque gardens in Fredriksborg, Denmark.
The dreary grayness has been been given a new face with the fresh snow, a face that is  brighter, more festive, appropriate to the season, and...more slippery.  I have to admit this is the first time I have ridden my bike in the snow.  I've been in snow lots....skiing, walking, driving, on the bus...but I have never considered mounting a bicycle.  The especially lethal traps are when a frozen, smooth puddle on the sidewalk hides under a layer of white.  Given the sunset time and the new riding surface my two favorite bike accessories are a light (the law) and a helmet (not the law...as far as I can tell).  Interesting.  I haven't hit the sidewalk yet, but it has been close a few times.
Danish...pastry, chestnuts, cheese, flags, jam.  Tulips of unknown origin...hmmm. But the colour fits the theme!
School is picking up a bit too.  My current class, Economics of Multiple Use Forestry, is a class that has really met my expectations in terms of content and work.  In the past "multiple use forestry" or "other forest values" has only included carbon...carbon credits, carbon cycles, carbon markets...carbon.  However, this course also includes discussions of wildlife, habitat, mushrooms, berries, and recreation.  Finally.  Also, our silviculture course came with a well-endowed stack of reading material, which was fairly interesting information on plantation management (as opposed to the "ecosystem-based forestry" of Canada):  thinning, pruning, genetics programs...all that sort of "fun" stuff.
The Mermaid, Copenhagen...watching some of the German Navy leave the harbour.
As you can tell by the photos, I've been thinking back on my trip to Copenhagen a lot this week.  It is interesting to consider about the differences between Denmark and Finland, they're a lot less similar than most people (I know) would expect.  Denmark feels, well, European for lack of a better description.  Rolling fields, deciduous forests, cobblestones, brick houses...managed and neat.  Finland feels Nordic as opposed to European:  endless forests, more modern architecture...perhaps just a little more wild.  There's a sense like mother nature (or something else) is still in control and that the future may not turn out the same as we plan it to be.  That being said, forests are still immaculately kept and planned...for the most part.  Denmark is the picture of Scandinavian culture (shhh...just don't tell Sweden).  Finland has aspects of it's culture that make it similar to Scandinavia, though it's not technically Scandinavian.  Interior design of new homes and popular home furnishing designs are often what non-Finns would classify as "Ikea-esque design."  Yes, clean lines, bold colours, and botanical motifs...but not IKEA!  Can you tell I live in Finland??  :-)
Swans and the Anglican Church, Copenhagen
Anyways, my Fun Finnish Fact for this week is actually more of a Joensuu fact instead of a Finnish Fact. The main pedestrian-only street has subterrainean heating.  Seriously.  At first I thought they just had a huge sewer or something under there causing the ice to melt, but I've asked around and it's actually heated.  It doesn't feel warm; it's certainly not like walking over in-floor heating.  But, it's just enough heat to slowly turn ice crystals to water and even encourage some evaporation.  I don't think it keeps up with heavy snowfall, but it will eventually catch up when the snowfall stops.  I think it's a fairly brilliant idea.  Just think that in a city that has up to 8 months of winter, the main walking street never needs ploughing.  Reduced liability, reduced long-term work, happier store-owners...but I hate to think what kind of work is required when it needs to be repaired.  Hopefully they don't have to dig the whole street up!

Reflection of Helsinki in a restaurant window...way out of my budget I'm sure!
Nähdään!  Maybe next week I'll have some snow pictures...if I take my camera out before it all melts again!

Kastellet, Copenhagen.  The old army barracks along the original city ramparts.  Apparently there is a high likelihood that my grandfather spent his army service time stationed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment