Welcome!

Terve! Welcome to the continuation of my life in Finland and other parts of the world. My master's lead me on all sorts of unforeseen adventures...hopefully this next degree (it's true) does too!

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Procrastination

So, I've been meaning to write a new post for ages and ages now, but nothing ever seems to happen...as you may have noticed.  Sorry.  Now it is 11pm the night before I am embarking on a 2-week holiday around central Europe with April (and mostly arranged by her too...99.9%). Main travel stops include: Milan, Munich, Salzberg, Vienna, and Budapest.

So...What have I been up to the past 4 or 5 weeks?
  - School (40%)
  - Procrastination (40%)
  - Outdoor Recreation (20%)
It should be noted that procrastination also includes very worthwhile endeavors such as doing laundry, swing dancing classes, taking part in "cultural events" and margarita nights.

However, since I am boarding a train in less than 7 hours, I will limit this blog post to everything I have already written, plus the following few photos...
mmm...homemade margaritas!

funtimes in the Finnish forest!  We were actually spending the day ice fishing (pilkkiminen) and took a break for a lunchtime fire in the forest

Just looking at this makes me feel cozy...there's nothing quite like a happy cat!

making some traditional Savolainen food.  Pork, fish, salt, butter, and rye flour.  Kalakukko.

the cooked kalakukko.  chunks of the rye outside are slathered with butter and loaded with pork and fish from the inner filling.  The entire concoction is baked for 7+ hours so that the fish bones disintegrate. 

A sure sign of spring.  Many people are already saying that it feels like summer.  The -10 and 50cm of snow leave me with a different opinion, but then again, more than 13hrs of daylight REALLY helps!

Sipping boxed wine and enjoying the sunset at the cottage!  I spent last weekend in a hunting cottage near the small town of Rautavaara.  That was an adventure in itself!

Another sign of spring!  In the winter, icicles were note widespread because the sun didn't have enough strength to melt the snow and make the required dripping water!

Yet another sunset

Across the lake Saarinen

The cottage!  Yes, with solar panels...the indoor lighting was quite nice!

I really wish I had gotten my act together earlier, I do have some good stories and tidbits to share...perhaps I will have time to assemble some thoughts enroute over the next couple weeks!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering where you guys have been... But this blog post explains quite a lot... :-D

    OT: In the margarita picture you're wearing the shirt that I've been meaning to buy for weeks now! Apparently great minds think alike and have a great taste in reasonably priced fashion too!

    ReplyDelete